Thursday, November 5, 2009

Gotta Love the Ride

You know when you go through those times in your life where you're approaching the top of the roller coaster ride and you have no idea what's below...it may be twisting or a big drop but you seem to always get a thrill out of it? Aaron and I are at that point and it's kinda fun (a very anxious fun though)but I guarantee my emotions in the picture they take at that point in the roller coaster is going to reflect FREAKED OUT! Aaron has 2 weeks left for school and then we search for a part timer while he's studying for the bar and then we're out the door for the big world:) Every night he spends at least an hour looking and applying for attorney jobs. It's not looking good to stay in Utah but we're young and I'm usually restless so moving somewhere new will be fun. He's crossing his fingers for Washington (Seattle area) but it's a waiting game until he takes the final exam in Feb and let's face it, in this economy anything will be more than wonderful!!

My fun ride is motherhood around the corner. I cried in the elevator after our appointment yesterday because the Dr had some "bad" news after he gave me the exciting news that I'm dilated to a 3.5-4 already! Apparently my body doesn't have the child bearing hips I thought it had and my birth canal is too narrow for the baby to descend not alone come out. I have "a steeple instead of a dome" (I loved his description!) He told me I have an 80% chance of having to do a cesarean so I need to make a decision. I had tried so hard to avoid this situation but I guess anatomy is what it is. My first thought was "crap, why did I skip all those sections in the books!" The good news is I've already experienced a somewhat similar surgery so I know what to expect and what the recovery is like but having the baby to take care afterward is the tough part but also WAY WAY more exciting than last time. After I wiped the tears away we got in the car and we jokingly started listing all the great perks about this. Aaron knew I felt like a failure because I couldn't deliver so he was a great support.

1) I get to stroll right in the hospital and probably hold my daughter within an hour or so
2) I won't have to push my brains out for hours and hours
3) The baby will hopefully have a normal shaped head:)
4) I'll get good at the football hold having to nurse her that way
5) The best of all, even though she won't get the experience she needs coming through the birth canal to clear out the lungs and so on it will be the safest way for her!

Until next time (and there will be fun pictures next time)!

Side note that made me laugh yesterday: First of all the exam hurt like crazy for some reason yesterday and I accidentally dug in and clawed Aaron's hand while the exam was going on. Anyways, after we left and I was tearing up in the elevator from the news he said, "So the exam hurt pretty bad huh?" I said, "HOLY COW YES! It felt like his whole hand went up me!" His response with a big smile was, "He could have at least bought you dinner first huh?" Oh I love my husband so much!

9 comments:

Zack and Victoria said...

yea Penny, I can't believe you will be a mommy so soon. I know that you will do great, and you little girl will be so blessed to have you for a mommy. I wish I could give some sort of good "birth" advice, but we both know I have yet to experience it. So here is my advise... "Hang in there it will be one heck of a ride! And I'm sure the kind of ride you will do more than once" love ya girl!!!!!

Beth said...

Penny- Just do the C-section You will do alot better in recovery without the labor part. I still to this day havent had one contraction (but I never dilated past a 2 so you got me beat.) Another perk is that your next babies they will take 2 weeks early from now on so you wont ever have to last the last two weeks again.....shorter pregnancies and planned birthdates yeah.

Jen said...

Uh, Seattle Aaron?! No way, come to Denver!!! I'll even send job postings to you if it will help convince you to apply.

Hazlett Family said...

I am so excited for you to be a mommy. It is so awesome. My experience. I pushed for over two hours and then ended up having a c-section because Tyson was not coming out. So I basically had to recover from both a vaginal and a c-section birth. Hopefully, things will work our and good luck.

C said...

You guys are going to be great parents!! You always sound so excited and I'm sure nervous. I hope everything goes good with the delivery..if you have to get a C-section you will be surprised how quick you bond with that baby girl! (Not that I have experience, but last semester I had maternity clinicals and I got to witness both types..both are way cool!! Hang in there girl!

katie said...

Penny, don't stress the c-section! It's really not that bad, I did natural labor(no drugs) for 25 hours..5 of which were pushing. Then ended up havin a c-section, but we bonded instantly and most importantly she was healthy. I was up and moving the next day and recovered very quickly! It's not bad at all:) good luck lady!!

tenacious d said...

So, I dare you to throw your hands up in the air and scream as you start to drop into this wild ride.

Good luck with everything, Penny! It sounds like you are doing the right thing and have a good attitude about it.

Clarissa and John said...

Good luck, Penny. Motherhood is wonderful and the day you have your sweet, lil' girl will be a day you won't ever forget! Just try to enjoy the day and accept whatever help is offered to you! Don't try to do too much. Please let me know if you need anything! I only live 45 min. away and would love to come see your new little one.

JaRelle Bailey said...

I'm so excited for you. I have my little girl sleeping on me as I type now, and there is no better feeling. :) Recovery sucks-- but it's SO worth it. They bring a whole new level of love into your life. Good luck! I'm excited for you!